THE HISTORY OF MEELICK HOUSE
Meelick (Irish: Mileac, meaning "Marshy land") is an area just outside the village of Whitegate in County Clare, situated a 48 kilometres north east of Limerick City in the Midwest of Ireland…Meelick House was built in 1791 by the Burke family (Burke Peerage, originally from Clondegoff Castle, in the barony of Longford), the original family crest is over the front door to this day. At the time of Griffith's Valuation 'Walter Blake was occupying the house at Meelick, parish of Clonrush, barony of Leitrim, valued at £17'. In 1814 this property was the residence of Matthew Yelverton.
The house is a perfectly proportioned two story late Georgian and faces south west with magnificent views over Lough Derg to the hills of Tipperary. There is a ruin of an old bakehouse with evidence of seven former ovens. The original Coach House and stone walls throughout the estate remain intact.